Sunday, March 30, 2014

Oxford Recap

I (Emily) was lucky enough to spend a week in Oxford over spring break to attend a seminar on international human rights and humanitarian aid. What a week! I learned/saw/ate so much and would go back in a heartbeat given the chance...with James this time though. Pretty sure he was the only thing missing from making the week absolutely perfect. That said, I still had an amazing trip. Below is a quick recap in photos:

This was where I spent most of my time - in the classroom...
...or at tea time. What a great tradition. Pretty sure American should adopt the European tea time and the South American siesta. We would be much happier people :)

The weather and vegetation is actually very similar to Eugene...just way more beautiful because they actually make space for nature there.


I felt like I was walking around in a movie or a fairy tale or one of Jane Austen's books the whole time.

We studied in Merton college - which happens to be about 750 years old and the old stomping grounds of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and I believe Lewis Carroll, author of Alice in Wonderland. 





The Bodleian Library


The entrance to the Ministry of Magic.
Dobby! There were a ton of scenes from Harry Potter that were filmed in the area. 
An old pub where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien used to be a part of a literary group called The Inklings.
Chicken and mushroom pie. Yum.


Awesome hot chocolate.









Pretty sure I need one of these - a map of the earth and sky all at the same time. Called "The World in your Pocket."








From the Ashmolean museum before my camera tragically died there. I could have spent the entire week in this museum and still not seen everything there was to see.

So grateful to those that made this trip possible - this will be something that stays with me for a very long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment